Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Recovering from surgery...

Well, I had my gall bladder removed yesterday. Wasn't even sure if it was going to happen or not. My surgery was scheduled for 1:00, so I had to be at the hospital for 11:00. Shortly before 1:00, a nurse came and told me that my surgery may be delayed until 4 or 5:00 because of a previous surgery with complications. She said it may even get cancelled altogether. I was hoping not. I didn't want to sit there all those hours and then get sent home. After still sitting there for what seemed like forever, and hearing nothing, I got up to see if I could find a clock. It was 2:25. There were 2 other women's surgeries who were delayed as well. And, they didn't even have the same dr. I chatted with these other ladies. We were joking about how starving we were. I told them I was craving a big plate of pasta and the other girl wanted pizza.

At 2:45, someone came to take me to the OR waiting room...so I figured it was only going to be a couple more minutes. My dr. came out shortly before 4:00 and said that a woman had a baby and needed an emergency d&c...so they had to use the operating room for that. So, finally at 4:15, I was taken in. I woke up at 5:25. I honestly don't think I have ever felt so groggy from anesthetic. They also gave me 2 Tylenol 3's at that point...so I could not keep my eyes open. Gil came to get me around 7:30. I felt so out of it! Thankfully, Jeff & Cydele were at our house to watch the kids so Gil could come and get me! (I appreciate it guys!!) Jeff left shortly after since he had to be up at 3 am for work. Cydele stayed and helped do the 10:00 feeding since I couldn't have done it.

It's really hard not being able to pick them up and hold them. I'm sure this week or so will feel like forever! Even if Gil put them on my lap, I would be afraid one of them might move too quick or touch where my incisions are.

Coughing is very tricky! It constantly feels like I need to cough and I have to use a pillow to do so but I can't seem to cough deeply enough to get relief. Oh well...here's hoping I recover quickly and can soon eat normal foods again!

6 Comments:

At 1:42 p.m., August 29, 2006, Blogger roxiemoxie said...

praying for you
call me when you are better - i will bring pasta :)

rox

 
At 2:49 p.m., August 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wondering how you made out - glad to hear things went "smoothly"...well, sort of :-S

Praying for you, and Gil, and the babes...that time will pass quickly as you heal and things can go back to normal again :-)

 
At 3:22 p.m., August 29, 2006, Blogger Smith Clan said...

Hi Stacey
Get better soon and know that you have a great support system. You need anything at all...just call...we will be there as many others will too.
Love and Prayers

 
At 9:09 p.m., August 29, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

Um hey Stacey - I would offer to come over but I would be scared I would make you laugh too much and pop your stitches and ok so I know first aid and all but still - jokes if you need anything let me know!

 
At 12:39 p.m., September 08, 2006, Blogger . said...

Hi Stacey,
Hope you're well on the way to recovery and able to pick up those babies!!!
Lorraine

 
At 1:47 p.m., September 08, 2006, Blogger Stacey said...

Yes, Lorraine, I'm definitely better now. Had a rough weekend and first part of the week. I think I got food poisoning over the weekend or maybe my system was just overly sensitive to something I ate...but I'm getting better now. Hoping I can eat at least one rib at Ribfest this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home